What Should I Do Following A Car Accident?
If you have been involved in a car accident, there are certain steps that you must take to be able to make a successful car accident claim. Most of the car accidents that take place in the UK do not result in casualties, but the victim of these accidents often suffer serious physical as well as psychological injuries. No matter how major or minor the accident was, there are certain procedures that needs to be followed. These procedures apply to car accidents as well as all other types of road accidents.
Steps That Should Be Taken
- If you have been involved in an accident, one of the most important things that you must do is exchange names, contact details and addresses. You must also take note of your opponent’s insurance details as well as vehicle registration number.
- You must make a note of the description of each vehicle involved in the accident. This includes colour, make and model of the vehicles. Also, take note of the damages sustained in the accident.
- Take note of the exact location where the accident took place. If you have a camera or a camera phone at the time of the accident, make sure to take photographs of the position of the vehicles, any skid marks, condition of the road and the damages sustained.
- It is important not to make any admissions or discuss whose fault it was. This can cause problems when claiming for compensation.
- If there were witnesses present at the time of the accident, note down their names, addresses as well as contact details.
- You must inform the police immediately after the accident if you have suffered injuries. Even if it was a hit and run case or the driver left the scene without providing insurance details, you must involve the police.
- You must seek medical attention immediately as well. Even if the injuries appear to be minor, you must get your injuries examined in a hospital and obtain medical reports.
- Inform your insurance company about the accident and provide any other details that are relevant to the accident.
All of this information can help your solicitor get a fair idea of what exactly happened if you decide to make a car accident claim. If you have suffered injuries in a car accident, it is important for you to seek legal advice as soon as possible because there are strict time limits in place for making car accident claims.