Injured due to a slip or trip?
If you have slipped or tripped due to another person's negligence, a solicitor can help you claim compensation for your injuries
How Much Could You Claim?

Pavement Accident Claims for Injury Compensation

If you have suffered an injury due to an accident on a pavement, you could be entitled to receive personal injury compensation. At, we work in partnership with a nationwide team of personal injury solicitors who have helped thousands of people make successful pavement accident claims.

With pavements and footpaths across the UK covered with potholes and defects, it is no wonder that so many people trip over and sustain injuries. Those who are fortunate may walk away with minor cuts and bruises. But unfortunately, many other people are not so lucky.

A heavy fall on a pavement can cause serious head and facial injuries. Broken bones are also common, especially in areas of the body such as the hands, wrists, elbows and ankles.

If you have suffered an injury due to a pavement accident, you may have a valid claim against the local council or highway authority responsible for the area where you had your fall. To find out if you can make a claim, call 0800 678 1410 today to receive a free case assessment.

If you are entitled to compensation, a personal injury lawyer can help fight your claim on a 100% no win no fee basis. This means there are no costs required upfront, no hidden fees and if your solicitor cannot win your claim, you won’t pay them a penny.

Can I make a pavement accident claim for the injuries I have suffered?

Uneven surfaces such as potholes and raised paving slabs are some of the main causes of trips on pavements. The local council has a duty to ensure that the land they are responsible for maintaining is safe for pedestrians. If they fail to do this, it can be dangerous for members of the public, and the council could be liable to pay compensation for any injuries caused by their negligence.

It is important to keep in mind that keeping pavements completely flat and risk-free would be an almost impossible task. So councils cannot be held responsible for all defects and subsequent accidents that take place.

To have a valid claim, the pavement defect that caused you to trip and fall over must be a minimum of 1inch, which is 2.5cm. This is based on the normal level of the pavement. So if you have fallen due to a pothole, it would need to be at least 1inch deep. On the other hand, if you have tripped over a raised paving slab, this would need to be 1inch or more above the rest of the pavement.

If the circumstances of your accident meet this requirement, it is important to start your claim as soon as possible. You have a maximum of 3 years to make a personal injury claim, but in most cases, the sooner you start your claim the better. You will stand a much better chance of gathering the evidence you need to support your case soon after the accident.

To find out if you have a valid accident claim, call 0800 678 1410 today to arrange a free consultation with an experienced personal injury solicitor.

What should I do following a pavement accident

If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident while walking on a pavement within the UK, there are a number of steps you should take.

Visit your GP or the hospital to have your injuries assessed as soon as possible. This is important as you will need medical evidence of your injuries to be able to pursue a compensation claim. Whether you go to your GP or the hospital will of course depend on the type and severity of injury you have sustained.

You should try to obtain photographic evidence of the cause of the accident. This is the case whether it was a pothole, damaged kerb or raised paving slab. When taking photographs, it is advisable to place a ruler against or in the defect so the approximate size of the defect can be established. If a ruler or tape measure is not available, you could use a matchbox, coin, cigarette packet or any other recognisable object that will help to confirm the size of the damage.

If anybody witnessed your accident, you should ask if they are willing to give you their contact details. Most people that have witnessed an accident should be happy to do this, and it can prove to be incredibly useful evidence to support your case. Making a note of their name and telephone number is all you really need so your solicitor will be able to contact them.

You should also report the incident to the local council that is responsible for the area. Making them aware of the defect will enable them to take measures to fix the problem and hopefully prevent more people from suffering injuries.

How much compensation can I claim for a pavement accident?

The value of your accident claim will primarily be based on the type and severity of the injury or injuries you have suffered. It will also depend on your personal circumstances and the financial impact that the accident has had on your life.

Below are some of the considerations that will be taken into account when calculating how much compensation you should be awarded for your pavement accident:

  • Pain and suffering – this is known as general damages and is an amount of compensation based on the type of injury or injuries you have sustained. The amount you receive for pain and suffering can include both physical and mental injuries and will be based on the recommended guidelines provided by the Judicial College.
  • Medical expenses – if you are required to pay for any of the treatment needed to aid your recovery, such as painkillers or rehabilitative therapy, the cost of these can be recovered from the council when making your claim.
  • Care costs – if you have suffered a significant injury or illness as a result of the accident, you may need help or care, particularly in the early stages. You might need to pay for this care, or a friend or family member may take unpaid time off work to help. These costs can be added to your claim.
  • Travel costs – your injuries could affect your ability to drive, walk or cycle, so you might need to pay for alternative transport as a direct result of your accident. Whether this is a taxi ride to get home from the hospital or bus fares to and from outpatient treatment, you should not be left out of pocket. Providing you have evidence, such as receipts or tickets, your solicitor will try to recover these costs for you.
  • Loss of earnings – if you have lost income by having to take time off work or reducing your hours as a result of your injuries, our injury solicitors will help to recover your losses. If you are still losing earnings at the time of your claim, an assessment will be made to include future loss of earnings.

As you can see from the above, several factors are taken into account during the assessment of compensation. Your injury lawyer will always aim to secure for you the maximum amount of compensation possible.

To find out how much compensation you could be entitled to claim, call 0800 678 1410 today to arrange a free case assessment.

Will I receive a no win no fee service?

Yes, all accident claims are taken on a 100% no win no fee basis, including those for pavement trips and falls.

No win, no fee is what is commonly used to describe a conditional fee agreement. This document contains the terms and conditions which govern the relationship between the solicitor and their client. It details the service being provided, what will be expected of both parties and all other aspects.

As the name suggests, with a no win no fee policy you won’t pay your solicitors if they are unable to win your claim. So you don’t have to worry about the possibility of being left with a bill for legal fees if you lose your case.

There are no upfront costs to pay to start your claim, and you will never face any hidden or unexpected costs.

How much time do I have to start my claim?

For adults, you have 3 years from the date the accident happened to initiate a claim for personal injury.

For children who are injured due to a damaged pavement, there are two options. The first option is for a parent or guardian of the child to make a claim on their behalf. The second option is for the child to start the claim once they turn 18 years old and become an adult. In these cases, the person has until the date of their 21st birthday to claim compensation for their injuries.

Experienced solicitors advise clients to start a pavement injury claim as early as possible. Not only will you receive compensation sooner, but collecting evidence to support your case will normally be easier.

Find out if you have a valid claim

If you have suffered a slip, trip or fall on a pavement and feel that the council or somebody else was responsible, call 0800 678 1410 today for free legal advice.

You will be connected with an experienced solicitor to assess the circumstances of your accident and determine if you have a valid claim. During this assessment, you will receive answers to any questions you may have.

As mentioned above, your injury solicitor will provide a 100% no win no fee service. This means you will have nothing to pay if the case is lost.

To arrange your free case assessment, simply enter your details into the contact form below or call 0800 678 1410.